Top 10 Hidden Boutiques of Buenos Aires
1. Balaciano, Zabala 2939: Tucked away on a quiet street in residential Colegiales, Marina Balaciano’s namesake boutique is a bastion for chic celebs and models. Nevertheless, her store maintains a welcoming, casual atmosphere perfect for a late afternoon shopping trip. Her luxurious winter line is highlighted by a fabulous hooded pea coat that I’m dying to buy, hand knit sweaters, and even a few party dresses. The collection also features casual cotton day dresses and a sexy trench coat embroidered at the bottom. Look for clever additions like legwarmers and appliquéd scarves that will make a nice contribution to your winter outfit. One of the best treats? Walk out with a shopping bag and a milk chocolate owl, the classic Balaciano logo.
2. Pehache, Gurruchaga 1418: Referred to by many as the Anthropology of Argentina, Pehache is a warm and inviting space filled to the brim with charming home accessories as well as some of the top independent clothing lines such as Nehgro, Maria Lombardi, and Paris by Flor Monis. As you browse, keep your eyes open for eclectic necklaces and my personal fave- tiger print ballet flats studded with an amber gem. If you’re looking to kick back for awhile, Pehache has a tranquil garden café at the back where you can take 5 while shopping away a BA afternoon.
3. Adorhada Guillermina, El Salvador 4872: Situated on one of the quietest blocks in Palermo SoHo, Adorhada Guillermina should not be overlooked. The packed racks mark Posse, Kukla, La Coquette, and the little-known but ultra hip A.M.O. as the major highlights, and you’ll even find a few remaining sexy panties by lingerie line Amor Latino. The service is ultra-friendly, and although AG has a distinct look, there is plenty of variety to keep you occupied.
4. Julieta Sedler, Armenia 1886: After starting out in a quiet showroom, Julieta Sedler’s colorful bags became such a hit that she has now opened a new boutique on Armenia in Palermo SoHo. The store offers an extensive collection of purses ranging from maxi bags to messengers to clutches. Unzip your latest purchase and find printed floral linings that add an extra touch of fun and frivolity. Each model comes in colors ranging from yellow to fuschia, and in addition to the adorable bags, you can also find a small selection of necklaces and earrings. To top it all off, the service is warm yet unintrusive.
5. Bully, Guatemala 4533: Now that we’re heading into the winter season, pop into the city’s number one destination for cashmere, Bully. They have lines for both men and women, and their women’s collection goes beyond cashmere into the realm of sparkly dresses, silk shorts, and wide leg pants. The shop is located inside a beautiful vintage house with a sunny patio, so you’ll feel right at home.
6. Casiopea, Libertad 1240, #13: One of the hottest hidden boutiques in town, Casiopea is known for its trendy, youthful tops and dresses, as well as light sweaters by Dolores Reynal and shoes by Kamanda. The earrings by Piropía are a definite don’t-miss, and while the space is large enough to hold
lots of options, it doesn’t feel overwhelming.
7. Chelcy, Juncal 1213: Although it’s petite, Chelcy is an incredible find. It’s the perfect boutique for the relaxed, casual gal looking for comfy striped tops and dresses in a variety of neutral colors. The signature piece of the new collection is the jean jacket featuring a gold heart shaped pin on the
front pocket. There are even a few cute bags to top it off.
8. Carnavalia, Juncal 1324: Just down the street from Chelcy, Carnavalia is a hole in the wall boutique filled with the collections of Ceilonia, Mina Hoo, Verushka, and a personal favorite, Rie. While black abounds, there are still a few remaining pieces from summer to satisfy your appetite for color.
9. We Love Flynn, Gurruchaga 1679: Although it has only been open for about one month, the ladies at We Love Flynn clearly have experience as boutique buyers. They have chosen to feature one of the hippest young lines in town, City Riot. Mina Hoo also makes an appearance, as do bags by La
10. Catalogue shop, Honduras 5815: BA is blessed with a plethora of fabulous fashion mags, but Catalogue is undoubtedly the most exclusive choice. Luckily for us, this Bible of BA design has a small shop located on Palermo Hollywood’s calle Honduras that stocks all the one-of a-kind items found in the magazine’s photo spreads. Plan to walk out looking just like one of the models.